Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Iced coffee for warmer weather!


Iced coffee and iced tea have both quickly become my favorite drinks while living here in Canada. I think its definitely an American influence and although Im not a fan of corporate American food I do love discovering their homemade style of food and drinks specific to certain states.

Now that my two winters (in a row) are over finally! and the cherry blossoms have come out and the weather though still a bit volatile has faithfully provided me with some absolutely superb days that has totally renewed my good opinion of living in Vancouver I can return to drinking cold drinks. My husband of course being from Manitoba, thinks cold weather is the best for cold/frozen drinks esp a slurpee and didn't understand why I couldn't stomach a iced drink during the winter. Why he thinks so I don't know, I think its a bit weird.

So anyway, as a happy member of pinterest I recently started to peruse pins re to cold drinks and being a coffee lover I found this fantastic recipe courtesy of The Pioneer Woman
which I happily recommend. At first I thought she was crowing just a bit too much at her recipe but then I made it (specifically with the condensed sweetened milk) according to her instructions, then I waited over night. Thankfully I had a sunny day waiting for me the next day, I poured it into my mug, took a sip, looked stunned for a bit then looked at my drink and did a Joey rendition of "How you doin?" LOL. Seriously its THAT good.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/

The only down side had nothing to do with pioneer woman or her fab recipe but my own ignorance. Being from NZ, I had no idea how much 8 quarts actually was (the amount resulting from the recipe). Ive discovered it really is a lot!! So if like me you don't have a spare tank lying around like this lady to keep all that beautiful liquid in, its probably best to divide her recipe by 2 or 3....


Happy Spring!!

No comments: