Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Camp, God Gifts & Co.

So I went to 'Launch Camp' last weekend. It was the most awesome camp I'd ever been to personally, and I grew a lot and had a lot of fun as well. Ever since I've come home (to Dunedin), I've had so many questions and answers in my head. My questions were based on a revelation I had over myself about my abilities (helped by others too), and then understanding the reason for my 'talkativeness' through life. And with the answers I was like, ok now how do I use them in my life and church? The minute I figured out I'd recieved spiritual speaking gifts my mind went "whoosh..." of all the evidence I had over the course of my life to back them up. Which I cant be bothered typing out but if you want to know ask me in person. At camp when we were in prayer time I was filled with the holy spirit and I was told - yep, you're gonna be using your talking for ministry. At the time (being all confident in Gods plan) I said - great! when do I start? ...... This year.

Well, now Im back in Dunners, back to work etc. Im reading my bible like crazy and praying like mad but I'm now going through this phase I'll call "Having a Moses moment." Where Im starting to think WHAT??!! I don't think Im the right person to be involved with ministry. Im not the most moral christian in the world - why this morning I accidently let out a R13 curse word at the lady who ignored my indicating and stole my car park at a busy campus. Last night, I laughed my head off at a highly innappropriate song by Flight of the Concords regarding men and bumholes. And last night during a prayer meeting, someone was praying for a ban on couch burning and I whispered out aloud, "whats wrong with safe couch burning? Its almost a fun neccessity in winter. More like increasing the drinking age back to 21." Some people laughed, though Im sure the under 21 year olds didnt appreciate that.

See what I mean? But immediately I got a retort back from God saying ha! Look at Jonah, Moses and Rahab. And Im like alright ALRIGHT! No ones perfect. And I seriously am trying to be a good daughter. Ive been pretty good this week in relation to trusting him with money and food - being broke and all. Eating soup and frozen veges 3 times a day for a week was interesting...

Another answer I got at camp was mentoring. Mainly for me, though Im prepared to mentor if God puts the right person in front of me. I really want to meet some old folks from church but the thing with groups at church is that they're all very segregated. A pain in the butt really, but theres a ladys night out thingee being run by church at Nanking Palace in a few weeks and I thought great opportunity! I dont have the money but thats ok - Can you help me find 21 bucks Dad? Cheers) But last night practically everyone at life group said they wouldnt go - whining about the 21$ cost and how they wanted something cool like 4wdriving instead like what the boys had. Now hearing stuff like that gets me into a verbal rampage especially when they all verbally agreed that getting a mentor would be cool. HELLO??!! Ladys night out - awesomely older people to meet - eating awesome chinese food at (what Ive heard to be) at a nice restaurant??!! Why cant people draw the dots together for crying out loud?

I may be a sinner. But I say sorry, and I think that entitles me to use my god gifts of speaking encouragement to those who are using terrible negative excuses against Gods way of giving to our needs of serving one another in a fun environment. Some people dont know a good thing in front of them even if it dances naked in a tea cozy in front of them. (No, thankYOU JK Rowling for that wee gem)

Im seriously considering giving a 30second lecture about it, this comming Sunday service and Im scared off my tosh.

These are my two God gifts Im 95% sure Ive got. (Still need to work on interpreting tongues). If you want to look up yours the website is below. And for more info on how to use them I really recommend you read 1 Corinthians in your bible.

Encouragement

Encouragement (Speaking Gift) - The special ability God gives some to offer comfort, words of encouragement, hope, and reassurance to discouraged, weak, or troubled Christians in such a way that they are consoled.
People with this gift:
- come to the side of those who are discouraged to reassure them and give them hope
- emphasize God's promises and confidence in his will.

Romans 12:6-8
Titus 1:9
Acts 11:23-24
Acts 14:21-22
1 Thessalonians 2:11-12
1 Thessalonians 5:9-11


Tongues (speaking & interpreting)

Tongues (speaking) - The special ability God gives to some to speak prayer or praise in a language they have never learned or to communicate a message from God to His people. The special ability God gives to some to speak in a language not previously learned so unbelievers can hear God's message in their own language.

Tongues (interpreting) - The special ability God gives to some translate the message of one who speaks in tongues.

If tongues is spoken without an interpretation, the speaker is edified. If tongues is interpreted, it is for the edification of the church body.

People with this gift:
- may receive a spontaneous message from God which is made known to His body through the gift of interpretation
- may interpret a message from the Holy Spirit through someone else speaking in tongues
- communicate a message given by God for the church (if there is someone to interpret)
- speak in a language they have never learned and do not understand
- worship the Lord with unknown words too deep for the mind to comprehend
- experience an intimacy with God which inspires them to serve and edify others
- speak in tongues as a private prayer language
- when used in a group setting, an interpretation must take place, or else the one speaking tongues should remain silent.


1 Corinthians 12:7-11
1 Corinthians 12:28-31
1 Corinthians 14:1-40
Acts 2:1-12
Acts 10:44-46
Acts 19:1-7
Mark 16:17
Romans 8:26-27
1 Corinthians 13:1


(courtesy of www.kodachrome.org/spiritgift/refer.htm#Encouragement)

1 comment:

S said...

:) Girl this post is awesome and is making me excited about my first church camp ever this Easter! <3 and blessin'