Monday, March 23, 2009

To tai chi or not to tai chi...

My mum dragged me along to her tai chi class tonight. The teacher is a guy I recognise but I couldnt remember his name. Anyway the guy shook my hand and again dragged me to the forefront when I stated I was a spectator and said "nonsense!" As per usual, I immediately felt stupid and embarressed in the first five minutes but I was doing as he said and after a little while I was doing this exercise that reminded me of an ancient mayan sun worshipping/mexicanwave thingee, and I started feeling SO RELAXED. And everytime I bent over my fingertips would get pins and needles which actually felt more nice than annoying. At that moment the teacher says " by now you should feel the energy want to FLOW out of your fingers..." I thought - wow thats quick. But for the majority of it I was frustrated, trying to focus (which Im not good at) and at the same time I was thinking man this is so good for me, I should really do this on a more regular basis.

Thats the thing people have to know about me - I can be the most commited person on any task/ goal I want to achieve if its intellectual. And I expect results consistently. The catch is that my archilles heel is sports. Im a commitment phobe. This is exactly why after nearly three years with my boyfriend, I have never joined up to his kung fu. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE KUNGFU - watching it that is. I absolutely love going along to his classes and watching as well as gradings, tournaments etc. I learn a lot. I enjoy sitting there theorizing as to how people could improve or why exactly they cannot put their foot through a piece of wood. Most of the time I know Im wrong as Cody usually mutters under his breath "...aww hes doin it wrong.. he should be doing it ...."

Anyway, im getting off track. After the lesson, I said to mum "was it the green tea or do I feel perky?" and she said "nah its the class." Plus the teacher was really nice and helpful and he stood in front of me while I was doing this centre of gravity movement thingee and he corrected me and said if I practiced and got good it would help my upper back which over the past two years has quickly gone out of whack from typing long hours. It was easy theory to grasp but in application it was bloody hard.

Plus the fees are cheaper than kung fu...

Its a toughie... Should I do it? My traveling around a lot doesnt help even though theres a chans martial arts all over the north island. Oh I dont know...

No comments: