Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ive been tagged for a book quiz thingee!

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. I cant BELIEVE that Oprah recommended this book! I admit I could have some bias being a christian but I really do think "thinking positive thoughts to encourage good stuff to happen to you" is a load of shit and the author just wanted to make a quick buck from doing a new age self help book. Some people will believe anything..

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?
Ron Weaseley because I love his blunt but humorous personality; Hawkeye Bonner for his cool stories and old fashioned logic and Ayla so she could teach me how to skin and cook animals and show me how to do stuff with herbs.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): You are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?
Northhanger Abbey by Jane Austen. It is the only one of her books that I seriously did not enjoy and thought the plot and characters were incrediably boring. I love the other books though. Its just that I found this book a massive disappointment compared to its counterparts.

Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?
War and Peace. Im used to reading classical literature but Ive never actually finished that book - I keep trying though. Its one of those books you cant read in bed and you have to focus which Im no good at at night.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book?
I cant recall this ever happening to me as I remember all books Ive read and definitely which ones I havent.

You’ve been appointed Book Advisor to a VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (if you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP)
Holes by Louis Sachar. Its one of the most fantastic childrens books out there that adults can thoroughly enjoy as well. It has an easy plot and awesome characters and a good ending, plus its not a big read either. Whats not to like?

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?
Ooh thats a hard one, either Greek, Hebrew or Latin. I would love to use any of them to read old biblical texts or if I happen to go overseas and explore an old Italian library or something.

A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?
Pride and Prejudice. I read it so often Ive practically memorised it anyway and I never get sick of the storyline

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art - anything)?
Havent really "discovered" anything new to do with books through blogging to be honest.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works?
I picture my library having at least two big bay windows and plenty of light. The biggest want is the majority of the wall space covered in shelving from the floor to the ceiling with a revolving ladder around the whole room. I'd want all my well read or classical books in protective hardcover and have them all by topic then author. Thered be bean bags and nice comfy couches and a harry potterish fireplace and giant paintings of ancestors, famous people I admire.

I won't tag anyone specifically for this, but if you're reading consider yourself tagged.

No comments: